Florida Cracker Grits
On north Florida cow hands and farm workers are sometimes called "crackers". They love their grits! Here is a version of grits we all love in Florida.
- 1 1/2 cups grits
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup ham chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion optional (re-constituted)
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning or to taste!
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium size pot, cook start the water, milk, butter and salt boiling. Add grits, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until texture of oatmeal.
- In a frying pan, fry bacon until crisp. After removing bacon, add the ham and onion to be browned. Drain and add to grits along with chopped bacon.
- Stir in cheddar cheese. until melted.
This makes a great entre’ or an excellent side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you like that strong onion flavor, add the minced onion to the recipe. Substitutions and additions include pepperjack cheese, bacon lardons, smoked turkey or chicken. For a special treat add roasted red peppers and Florida shrimp!