Got a crowd for dinner or breakfast? Here is a recipe that starts with 5 pounds of flour and yields about 60 biscuits.
- 5 pounds flour
- 1 1/2 ounces salt
- 5 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces baking powder
- 28 ounces butter (cold in small pieces)
- 4 1/2 cups milk (very cold)
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into dry ingredients until the mixture looks grainy or mealy.
- Add the milk. May require a little more or less milk depending on flour and humidity. Dough should not be sticky.
- On a floured surface, knead dough ONLY two or three times until it barely holds together. Do not over mix or knead.
- Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch. Cut into 2 inch biscuits. Place on lightly greased pan and bake at 425 degrees 10 to 12 minutes until just turning brown on top.
Dough may be refrigerated for a day or more.
This recipe courtesy of Maggie Mae’s Waterfront, Clearwater Beach, Florida