Florida Candied Yams - with a touch of Bourbon
This is an easy way to make candied yams for that special holiday.
- 3 lbs. Yams or Sweet Potatoes Peeled and cut in 1/2 inch round discs
- 1 cup Brown Sugar (or light brown)
- 1 1/4 cups White, preferably florida sugar
- 1 stick Butter (1/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup Florida orange juice
- 3 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 oz. Good Bourbon Optional, of course
- This is truly a one pot solution. Add the ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook covered for 45-50 minutes until yams are just fork tender.
- At the end of cooking the yams, if the sauce is not thick like syrup, remove the yams to a serving dish and reduce the liquid to syrup consistency and pour over the yams.
- That's it - enjoy!
More From Florida Travel Blog
19 Island Adventures • Hidden Romantic Getaways in Florida • The Tampa to Key West Drive
• Historic Cedar Key · Hemingway’s Key West · Florida’s Nature Coast Surprises · Old Spanish Trail