Courtesy of Maggie Mae’s, Florida
Before going to the beach to search for Conch, it's illegal to harvest in Florida. You will have to import it from the Caribbean!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups of conch (chopped)
- 2/3 cups of onions (chopped fine)
- 1/3 cup of green peppers (chopped fine)
- 1/3 cup green peppers (chopped fine)
- 1/3 carrots (chopped fine)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon tabasco
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine dry ingredients
- Chop onions, green peppers and carrots in a food processor until a fine chop.
Whisk egg, buttermilk and tabasco together.
- Combine wet ingredients, vegetables and dry ingredients. Mix until a thick batter. (Add a tablespoon or so of flour if necessary.)
- Add conch and fold into thick batter.
- Heat fryer oil to 350 degrees.
- Prepare by dropping a 1 oz scoop or spoonful of batter into deep fryer for 6-7 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Maggie Mae’s on the Bluffs, Belleair Bluffs, Florida