Florida Fish Stew
- 24 ounces Grouper or other firm fish from Florida cut in about 2 ounce chunks
- salt & pepper liberally salt and pepper fish chunks, refrigerate
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3/4 cup celery chopped fine
- 3 ea bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chopped jalapeno
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion tops
- 2 cups fish broth or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning or rub of your choice.
- In a large pot (6-8 qt.), make a roux by melting the butter and stirring the flour in thoroughly on low heat. Do not burn, but using a spatula or pancake turner, stir until roux is light brown.
- Add green pepper, onion, jalapeno and celery. Stir until softened. About 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste and bay leaves.
- Add diced tomatoes, fish broth and Cajun seasoning. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add fish chunks and simmer for another 15 minutes stirring occasionally, gently.
- Add chopped green onion tops during last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove bay leaves and serve.