Maggie Mae's Home Fries with Onions
Satisfy your craving for those brown thin slices of crisp home fries.
- 4 each Baking Potatoes about two pounds, Russets preferred
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- salt & Pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and boil until barely cooked (about 10 minutes).
- In the same pot, pour out hot water and replace with cold water and ice. Let sit for 15 minutes until potatoes are cool to the touch.
- Peel the potatoes. The cold water should make it easy.
- Slice the potatoes in 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices.
- In a medium frying pan (we love iron skillets), place two tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. The mixture keeps the butter from burning.
- Over medium-high heat add potatoes when oil is hot. Careful not to spatter the oil on yourself!
- Salt and pepper potatoes to taste
- Let potatoes fry on one side before turning. They should be turning brown on the edges. Gently turn the potatoes to the opposite side. Again let sit for several minutes to brown the other side.
- Once the potatoes are browed, turn heat down to medium. Add the chopped onion. Turn mixture several times until onions are somewhat translucent and starting to brown.
- Once tender remove the potatoes from the heat and serve.
Serve with a couple of eggs for a delicious breakfast. You can also add seasonings like garlic, paprika or some dried thyme near the end of the frying process. We also suggest other options like adding green peppers, bacon pieces or sausage creates a heartier dish.