Maggie Mae's Country Sausage Gravy
- 1/2 lb. pork sausage 3/4 pound will be better and chunkie
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp freshly cracked black pepper 1/4 tsp. if not using red pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 1/8 tsp salt watch salt - pork could be salty
- Add the pork sausage to a skillet and cook over medium heat, breaking it into chunks as you stir, until it is cooked through. Do not drain the fat from the skillet, but remove the cooked pork so you don’t overcook it.
- Add the butter and flour to the skillet with the pork fat. Continue to stir and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Whisk the milk into the skillet, making sure to dissolve all the browned bits off the bottom of the skillet as you whisk. Continue to stir and cook until the milk begins to simmer lightly, at which point it will thicken into a nice gravy (5 minutes).
- Add cooked pork back in.
- Season the gravy with optional red pepper, freshly cracked black pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Serve over biscuits or your favorite starchy breakfast item like country fried potatoes!