Southern Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese Shredded
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 pound Butter
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper (or cayenne)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 lb Your Favorite Pasta
- Start cooking your pasta according to directions and add the tablespoon of salt to the water. Stop the cooking process about about 11/2 minutes before normal time. Drain.
- In a large bowl add all the shredded cheeses. Add the cornstarch, white pepper and ground mustard. Toss all together.
- In a sauce pan, add the heavy cream and butter. Heat over medium heat only until butter melts. Remove from heat.
- After removing the heavy cream mixture from the heat, stir the cheeses in and let set to melt.
- Put a 12 inch iron skillet in the oven with a tablespoon of oil in it. Let it warm up for about 10 minutes. Mix the pasta and cheese sauce together and carefully add it to the iron skillet. (Alternative: Prepare a 9 x13 baking dish while warming oven to 350 degrees).
- Recommended topping is below, but you can bake the macaroni and cheese as it is. Bake for 25 minutes or until brown on top and bubbling on the sides.
- 12 Ritz crackers crushed and 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese. Mix together and spread over the top of the mac & cheese just prior to baking.
We don’t use a roux. Our ingredients lead to a smooth cheese sauce that won’t break.
The topping is crisp for a texture difference from the creamy cheese sauce.
The heavy cream and butter add a richness and elegance to this simple dish.