Your Romantic Getaway in Florida for Couples
There is no shortage of romantic getaways for couples in Florida. They range from pristine beaches to bustling cities and even remote islands.
Florida is known for its beautiful beaches, warm weather, and endless sunshine, making it a perfect destination for couples looking for a romantic getaway. Whether you’re looking for a laid-back beach vacation or a bustling city break, Florida has something for everyone, including romantic getaways for couples.
Consider these options for a Florida romantic getaway:
Key West is a laid-back island paradise that is perfect for couples looking to unwind and relax. The island is known for its stunning sunsets, clear blue waters, and vibrant culture.
You can take a sunset sail on a catamaran or enjoy a romantic dinner at one of the many oceanfront restaurants. You can also explore the island’s history by visiting the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum or the Key West Lighthouse. Consider Sunset Island for that cottage by the sea.
Sunset Key, located just off the coast of Key West, is a luxurious private residential neighborhood and resort nestled on a 27-acre island. It has stunning beaches, elegant cottages, and a relaxed island atmosphere.
Here’s what makes Sunset Key special:
- Access to the island is restricted to residents and guests of the Westin Key West Resort & Marina, ensuring a serene and peaceful environment.
- Lush tropical landscaping, pristine white sand beaches, and turquoise waters create a picture-perfect island escape.
- It offers luxurious accommodations, fine dining at Latitudes Restaurant, a spa, pools, tennis courts, and various water sports activities.
Ultimately, Sunset Key caters to those seeking a luxurious and exclusive island escape with access to world-class amenities and private beaches. If you’re looking for a secluded and pampering experience near Key West, then Sunset Key might be the perfect destination for you. The Opal Resort and Marina manages Sunset Key.
Key west is one of the best places in Florida to visit for couples. Get your guide for Key West.
You can check hotel rates in Key West.
Miami is a great destination for couples who want to mix city and beach. The city offers a vibrant nightlife scene, with plenty of bars, clubs, and restaurants to choose from. During the day, you can soak up the sun on one of Miami’s famous beaches, like South Beach or Bal Harbour Beach. You can also take a stroll through the colorful Art Deco district, which features over 800 buildings from the 1930s and 1940s.
Consider staying at one of Miami’s upscale resorts, such as The Ritz-Carlton, Fontainebleau Miami Beach, or the Four Seasons Hotel Miami. These properties often feature lavish amenities, spa services, and stunning views.
Indulge in a couples’ spa day. Many luxury hotels have on-site spas offering massages, facials, and other wellness treatments. The Spa at the Mandarin Oriental and Lapis Spa at Fontainebleau are notable options.
Overall Miami has a lot to offer when you are researching romantic getaways in Florida. Miami is one of the well known places to visit in Florida for couples. Get your Miami guide for things to do. You can check the best hotel rates in Miami here.
St. Augustine is a charming and historic city that is perfect for couples who love history and culture. The city is known for its Spanish colonial architecture and historic forts. You can take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride through the city’s narrow streets or explore the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, which was built in the late 1600s to protect the city from pirates. There are plenty of hotels that offer reasonable rates. We might suggest the Casa Monica Hotel in the heart of downtown.
You can take a walk through history –
- Explore cobblestone streets: Wander through the historic district, soaking in the ambiance of 17th-century Spanish architecture, quaint courtyards, and colorful buildings.
- Castle Castillo de San Marcos: Immerse yourselves in history at this iconic fortress, a testament to Spanish colonial power. Enjoy guided tours, reenactments, and breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Lightner Museum: Step into a Gilded Age mansion transformed into a museum, showcasing opulent décor, fine art collections, and interactive exhibits.
- Horse-drawn carriage rides: Take a romantic journey through the historic district in a traditional horse-drawn carriage, enjoying the sights and sounds of Old Town.
Of all our romantic getaways for couples in Florida, this may be the most unique. Certainly one of the most famous places to visit in Florida for couple is St. Augustine. Get your guide for St. Augustine things to do. You can also check hotel rates in St. Augustine here.
Destin is a popular beach destination that is perfect for couples who love the water. The city is known for its crystal-clear waters and white sand beaches, and you can spend your days lounging on the beach or trying out water sports like snorkeling or kayaking. You can also take a sunset cruise or enjoy a romantic dinner at one of the many beachfront restaurants. Harborwalk is the place for shopping and bar hopping. Check the elegant Emerald Grande Hotel for rooms or you may opt for some of the swanky resorts near Seaside a few miles away.
Popular things to do for couples include:
- Beach Bonfire & Stargazing: Rent a beach bonfire permit, gather around the crackling flames, share stories and watch the starry sky unfold with your loved one.
- Sunset Cruise & Dolphin Watching: Embark on a scenic cruise, watch the sun paint the sky with vibrant hues, and keep an eye out for playful dolphins frolicking in the waves.
- Couples Massage on the Beach: Indulge in a relaxing side-by-side massage in a beachfront cabana, accompanied by the soothing sounds of the ocean.
- Snorkeling or Diving at Crab Island: Explore the vibrant underwater world, discover colorful coral reefs and marine life, and create memories snorkeling or diving hand-in-hand.
Destin can be a fun and active retreat for couples in Florida. Destin is also one of the best places to visit in Florida for couples who prefer the panhandle. Get your guide to the Destin area here. You can also check the latest hotel prices in Destin here.
Sanibel Island is a quiet and secluded destination that is perfect for couples who want to escape the crowds. The island offers miles of white sand beaches and plenty of opportunities for nature walks and wildlife sightings. You can also visit the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge, which is home to a variety of bird species and other wildlife.
Couples have plenty to do including:
- Sanibel is renowned for its exceptional shelling opportunities. Take a leisurely stroll along the beaches, especially during low tide, to collect unique seashells. Bowman’s Beach and Blind Pass Beach are popular spots.
- Embark on a romantic sunset cruise to witness the breathtaking sunset over the Gulf of Mexico. Several companies offer guided sunset tours with opportunities to spot dolphins and enjoy the coastal views.
- Rent kayaks or paddleboards and explore the calm waters surrounding Sanibel Island. Paddling through the mangroves and along the coastline offers a serene and intimate experience.
- Lighthouse Beach Park is a scenic location with a historic lighthouse. Pack a picnic and enjoy a romantic meal on the beach while taking in the views of the lighthouse and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Sanibel has a variety of waterfront restaurants offering delicious seafood and stunning views. Consider places like Thistle Lodge, Gramma Dot’s, or Traders for a romantic dinner by the water.
- Rent bicycles and explore Sanibel’s scenic bike paths. Biking along the coastline or through the interior of the island allows you to enjoy the natural beauty at your own pace.
- Explore the art galleries and boutique shops on Sanibel. Peruse local artwork and unique finds in the galleries, and perhaps find a special souvenir to commemorate your visit. Indulge in a relaxing couples’ massage at one of Sanibel Island’s spa resorts. The soothing atmosphere and therapeutic treatments make for a rejuvenating experience.
Sanibel Island provides a serene and romantic setting for couples, offering a perfect blend of nature, adventure, and relaxation. Whether you prefer exploring the outdoors or savoring quiet moments together, Sanibel has something for every couple.
This is one of our favorite places to visit in Florida for couples. It is like a romantic getaway on a Florida island. Check hotel prices for you trip here.
Naples is a sophisticated and upscale destination that is perfect for couples who love luxury. The city offers plenty of opportunities for fine dining, shopping, and relaxation. You can take a romantic sunset sail or enjoy a couples massage at one of the many spa resorts in the area.
You can also:
- visit the Naples Botanical Garden, which features over 170 acres of tropical gardens and nature trails.
- Shoppes at Venetian Bay combines upscale shopping with waterfront dining. Great way to spend the day.
- Head to the Naples Pier for sunset and a walk on the beach.
- Take a walk down 5th Avenue a step into the upscale shops of all kinds.
- For a more active experience, head to the Everglades for an airboat ride.
- Check out the art galleries and Museum at Artis-Naples.
If elegance and luxury are your goals, check out the Ritz Carlton in Naples.
Clearwater Beach is a popular beach destination on the west coast of Florida. It is known for its white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters, as well as its lively nightlife.
Couples can spend their days lounging on the beach, taking a sunset cruise, or exploring the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. In the evenings, they can enjoy live music and drinks at one of the many bars and restaurants in the area. The Sandbar tiki bar at the Opal Sands Hotel offers great sunsets. When looking at romantic getaways for couples in Florida, Clearwater Beach should be high on your list.
Clearwater Beach has a wide range of things to do from tiki bars on the beach, beach shops along the streets, dining both casual and white tablecloth and of course, one of the top beaches in Florida.
All of this may be more affordable than many locations for couples. Take a look at the Guide to Clearwater Beach for things to do.
The hotel rates in Clearwater Beach can be checked here. You will find them more affordable than many other places to visit in Florida for couples.
Sarasota is a cultural and artistic destination on the Gulf Coast of Florida. It offers a mix of city and beach, with a lively downtown area and stunning beaches nearby. Couples can visit the Ringling Museum of Art, which features an extensive collection of European art and a historic mansion.
Couples can also spend their days relaxing on the beach or exploring the local shops and restaurants. The city is also known for its vibrant arts scene, with numerous theaters and performance venues. Check out St. Armand Circle across the bay for shopping and dining.
Amelia Island is a quiet and charming destination on the northeast coast of Florida. This historic destination is one of our favorites. The island offers a mix of history, natural beauty, and relaxation.
Couples can take a romantic stroll along the beach, explore the island’s historic district, or go kayaking or paddleboarding through the nearby marshes. The island is also known for its spa resorts, where couples can enjoy a couples massage or other spa treatments.
Things to do on Amelia Island include:
- Visit the oldest bar in Florida, The Palace Saloon.
- Spend a relaxing day on one of Amelia Island’s pristine beaches. Main Beach Park and Peter’s Point Beachfront Park are popular choices with amenities like picnic areas and restrooms.
- Learn about the island’s rich history at the Amelia Island Museum of History. The museum offers exhibits, guided tours, and ghost tours exploring the island’s intriguing past.
- Experience a unique beach activity by taking a horseback ride along the shoreline. Several companies on the island offer guided horseback riding tours.
- Rent bikes and explore the island’s bike-friendly trails. The Amelia Island Trail offers a scenic route through maritime forests, dunes, and coastal habitats.
- Take a ferry to Cumberland Island, a nearby barrier island with a unique ecosystem, wild horses, and historic sites. Enjoy hiking and exploring the island’s natural beauty.
For an exceptional place to stay, the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort is a luxurious experience. Enjoy the resort’s amenities, including golf, spa treatments, and fine dining. The resort also offers nature tours and outdoor activities.
Boca Grande Island
Just outside Port Charlotte, on the Gulf Coast of Florida is a little-publicized island named Gasparilla Island. Located on the Island is the community of Boca Grande. This island paradise is well known by celebrities who come here for relaxation away from inquiring crowds.
If there is a definition of charming, this is it. A grand old hotel, a relaxed bicycle riding town, quaint shops, and there is only one way on and off the island. We have written about his reclusive village several times.
The area is known for its world-class tarpon fishery that occurs each spring.
In the middle of the island is a grand old hotel perfect for romantic interludes. The Gasparilla Inn will satisfy your whims and more. They will also provide you a golf cart to buzz around the shops and restaurants when you aren’t on the beach.
Don’t miss a visit to the Pink Elephant restaurant. This quirky place is fun!
Boca Grande is a place for solitude, relaxation and peaceful atmosphere for a weekend romantic getaway in Florida. Better yet, stay the week!
This island is like your own personal place to visit in Florida for couples. Check the hotel rates on Boca Grande Island.
Cayo Costa Island
We are not going to sugarcoat this getaway in Florida. It is not for everyone. If you like nature, no crowds, rustic deserted beaches, lots of wildlife and clear Gulf waters, you are in for treat.
Cayo Costa is a Florida State Park on a remote island well removed from normal mainland crowds. This is a place where you can share romantic moments on nearly empty beaches.
Hike trails around the island or kayak over clear blue waters. Accommodation is rustic cabins, or you can bring a tent for camping. No, this isn’t for everyone, just those who relish nature and quiet togetherness in an island setting. The island can only be accessed by boat!
This boat-accessed only rustic island is difficult to reserve, so plan well ahead by making reservations. You’ll want to start by calling to make overnight camping reservations at the park.
Reservation can be made by calling Reserve America at 1-800-326-3521. After that, you will need to reserve a water taxi to get you to and from the island.
Nothing that is really unique or worthwhile is easy, but it will be a memorable experience. One of the most remote places in Florida to visit for couples.
5 Tips for Making a Memorable Getaway in Florida
Planning a romantic getaway in Florida? Here are five tips to make your trip even more memorable:
Choose a Romantic Setting:
Select the Right Accommodation: Opt for accommodations that enhance the romantic atmosphere. Choose a beachfront resort, a cozy bed and breakfast, or a boutique hotel with private amenities like in-room Jacuzzis or balconies.
Plan Intimate Activities:
Private Dining: Arrange a private dinner for two. Many upscale restaurants offer secluded dining areas or even private beachfront setups for a romantic meal.
Sunset Cruises: Consider a sunset cruise for breathtaking views and a romantic atmosphere. Many coastal areas in Florida offer evening boat tours with the chance to see the sunset over the water.
Spa Day: Schedule a couples’ spa day. Enjoy massages, facials, and other pampering treatments together. Many resorts and hotels in Florida have on-site spas.
Beach Relaxation: Take advantage of the beautiful beaches. Plan a day of sunbathing, swimming, and beachside relaxation. Consider renting a cabana or beachfront lounge chairs for added comfort.
Surprise Your Partner:
Plan a Surprise Activity: Keep an element of surprise in your itinerary. Whether it’s a surprise excursion to a scenic spot, a hot air balloon ride, or a private picnic on the beach, unexpected moments can add a touch of magic to your getaway.
Capture the Moments:
Document Your Trip: Bring a good camera or hire a professional photographer to capture your moments together. Having beautiful photos as keepsakes will help you remember the special moments from your romantic getaway.
Keep a Travel Journal: Take some time to write down your experiences and feelings during the trip. A travel journal can be a wonderful way to reminisce about your romantic adventure in Florida.
Bonus Tip: Be Present:
Disconnect and Reconnect: While it’s important to document your trip, also make an effort to disconnect from devices and fully engage with your partner. Enjoy the moments together without distractions, and focus on creating lasting memories.
Remember, the key to a successful romantic getaway is thoughtful planning and attention to detail. By selecting the right setting, incorporating intimate activities, prioritizing relaxation, adding surprises, and capturing memories, you’ll create a memorable and romantic experience in the beautiful state of Florida.
Diverse Choices for Romantic Getaways for Couples in Florida
Start your bucket list of romantic getaways for couples in Florida. Whether you’re looking for a lively city break or a quiet beach vacation, there’s something for everyone in this sunny state.
From the historic charm of St. Augustine to the laid-back island vibe of Key West, Florida has plenty of Florida destinations that are perfect for couples. So why not pack your bags and head out for your next couples romantic getaway in Florida?