Seafood and Corn Chowder
In Florida we have a lot of seafood options. This recipe can be modified to almost any combination.
- 1 -14 oz can of chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced celery fine
- 1 cup chopped onion fine
- ½ cup sliced or shredded carrots
- 1 14.75 oz can of cream style corn
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 cup whipping cream heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon snipped fresh thyme
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 – 12 oz lump crab meat or peeled deveined shrimp or other seafood of your choice
- Note: A combination of crab and shrimp is very good but fish, scllops and other fresh seafood works
- Olive oil
- Using a heavy bottom skillet, sauté onions, celery and carrots in enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Cook until tender, remove, then sauté shrimp or other seafood
- In a medium saucepan, combine celery, onions and carrots with the broth. Bring to a boil, then set aside to cool slightly. Process in a blender until smooth, then return to saucepan. Stir in corn, whipping cream, thyme, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Stir in seafood, heat through. Serve immediately.
You can even top with some crumbled bacon for a twist. For a more hearty version add a cup of diced, cooked potatoes.