One of the Best Florida Road Trips is Silver Springs
Florida is blessed with hundreds of springs. Most are in the forests and wooded areas of northern Florida. In fact, one of the largest preserves in the state is the Ocala National Forest which borders Silver Springs.
Where is Silver Springs on the Map?
Where is Silver Springs Florida located on the map below? In north Florida where the majority of Florida’s springs are located.
What is Silver Springs Known For
We believe this is one of the best Florida road trips you can take in north central Florida.
Silver Springs could be just another large spring in Florida unless you know the history behind Silver Springs, like –
- Silver Springs pushes 550 million gallons of crystal clear water into the Silver River every day.
- Silver Springs has been a Florida attraction since the 1870s. It was a popular Florida road trip before road trips were popular!
- The springs were the site of filming Tarzan, The Apeman, the TV show Seahunt, the movie Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the James Bond movie Thunderball, plus many more.
- Drawing a million visitors a year, the springs operate a fleet of glass bottom boats shuttling people down the waters of the river.
- Silver Springs Park encompasses almost 5000 acres. Many acres are devoted to bike trails, hiking trails, canoe waterways, camping, boating, and much more.
- Animals sighted at the park include the occasional bear, alligators, raccoons, possums, deer, wild turkey, wild boar, and even a colony of rhesus monkeys inhabiting the park.
No other Florida spring offer this much activity and history.
Education and Entertainment on Silver Springs Florida Road Trip
The entrance to the Silver Springs includes several displays of wildlife and history. As you enter the park you find the beginning of many different-length hiking trails just outside the doors of the main building.
One popular area is a boardwalk resting just above the forest floor and stretching almost a half mile. There are various places to rent paddle boards, canoes and other fun water vehicles.
- Glass Bottom Tour Boat – Silver Springs
There is plenty of parking at the park plus many different picnic areas. A restaurant is located in the main building as you enter.
You can easily spend a day at Silver Springs hiking, picnicking, taking the glass bottom boat ride, and walking the elevated boardwalk.
Silver Springs State Park is located just on the eastern edge of Ocala, Florida on Silver Springs Blvd. (St. Rt. 40).
Silver Springs is a fabulous Florida road trip.
Check Out Some other Springs on Florida road trips –